New for Summer 2017
SANTA CRUZ, CA (March 17, 2017) – The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, the World's Best Seaside Amusement Park, announced two new rides for summer. Shockwave and Typhoon will be added to the Boardwalk's 2017 ride lineup as part of a $14 million improvement project. In addition to two new rides, the major project includes an impressive new entrance and entrance plaza with more ticket windows, a new food experience, a new birthday room, and upgraded attractions and games. Ground was broken last September.
New for Summer 2017:
- The 65’ Shockwave holds 24 riders on individual motorcycle-style seats facing outward around a large disk. The disc spins, while also rocking riders back and forth on a curling, wave-shaped track. Shockwave will be located next to the Undertow roller coaster on an expanded upper deck overlooking the new Main Entrance. Known in the amusement industry as a Mega Disk’O, the ride is manufactured by Zamperla.
- Typhoon swings riders upside-down on two spinning arms, reaching a height of 60’ over the Boardwalk. The classic thrill ride will be located just inside the new Main Entrance, providing an exciting visual for guests entering the park. Manufactured by A.R.M., the newest double arm ride is similar to a former Boardwalk ride (also called Typhoon) that was replaced by Sea Swings in 2009.
- Cruzin’ Crepes
- A new food concession will offer delicious made-to-order crepes filled with sweet or savory fillings and fresh-brewed, flavored teas.
- Fright Walk
- The Boardwalk’s popular walk-through attraction is being relocated “under the Boardwalk” and upgraded with additional scares and more square footage. Fright Walk’s spooktacular makeover will impress the bravest thrill-seekers with new high-tech surprises and some good old-fashioned frights.
- The Vault Lazer Maze
- Dodging laser beams will be even more fun when Laser Maze expands with a second vault and cool theming.
- Birthday Party Room
- An attractive new Party Room will be available for birthday parties. The new Party Room is bigger and brighter than before and comes with food and ticket options for easy-to-plan kids’ parties.
- Ticket Windows
- More ticket windows and digital signage for Season Pass Members, Groups, and general sales and information will improve customer service especially during peak summer hours.
- Two midway games, Ring Toss and Pitch In will be added to the new Entrance Plaza.
Daniels Wood Land, Inc., a family-owned design and theming company based in Paso Robles, CA is working on exterior design and theming for games and attractions inside the Main Entrance. The firm was featured on the Animal Planet TV show Redwood Kings. The program showcased their fantastic creations.
A number of local contractors including William S. Bagnall Architects, Slatter Construction and Nielsen Studios are also working on the project. Roto, an Ohio design firm specializing in plans for some of the world’s largest theme parks, worked with Boardwalk staff to design the project. The Boardwalk’s Main Entrance project is scheduled for completion by summer, 2017. For more information and a look at the project design, visit beachboardwalk.com/new2017
# # #